Friday, July 31, 2009

Ecchy Stuff

Hmm.. looks like it's been a few days since I last posted. Oh well, that happens. I got busy all of a sudden with things falling on me.
First thing: I got rejected from the Mechanical Engineering Department at the UW. That pissed me off. So now what the heck am I supposed to do? I'm sitting on over a hundred credits, and I need to get into a major. I'm working on an appeal letter, which I need to get in by Tuesday. If my appeal is accepted, then I'll be set. Otherwise, I have a few different options available:
  1. Take some time off, get a job, and earn some money. The job market is kind of sucky right now, but I could find a job somewhere. I have a decent resume, and I can work with the local DVR to find a job.
  2. Keep going to school, taking some more required classes, and try again next year. This option is, oddly enough, the least appealing.
  3. Take some time off, and volunteer for an organization of some kind. Preferably an assignment that gets me out of town for a little while. Peace Corps, Earthcorps, Americorps, H 4 H, and others. I have a lot of options here.
As to what exactly I'll do, I don't know yet. I could probably get away with taking a year off, since I'm not in a major yet. And frankly, I need to earn some money. I don't have enough left in my savings account to pay for my part of tuition next year. Of course, there's the other option: make Dad finish the apartment. That is another appealing option. Then I could go to school next year. We'll see what happens.
Second thing: I got a lot of work to do otherwise. Mostly cats and dogs, like usual. We got a lot of them to take care of, but we'll be making some money in August.
Third thing: Mom finally left this morning. She's going away for a month long bike trip through Washington, Oregon, and a little bit of Idaho. She's been looking forward to this trip since early 2008, when she signed up, and now it's finally here. She'll be gone for a month, until August 30th. I'll miss her, but I also see this as an opportunity. An opportunity to be independent, without her breathing down my neck all the time. An opportunity to finally prove that I can manage without her.

I also went and got a new ORCA Card today. Apparently it's a kind of universal bus/ferry/light rail/commuter rail pass that the local transit agencies are switching to. It looks like it will be pretty good. I tried to register mine on the website, but I kept getting an error message. Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow.

But for now, I should head to bed before midnight. Yeah, right. It's a Friday night. 'Night everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment