Friday, January 15, 2010

Birthday Eve

Well, my birthday is tomorrow. I'll be 24 years old at 5:32 AM tomorrow morning. I should be happy. I should be excited as to what I'm going to do. I should be looking forward to the presents I'm going to get.

But I'm not. Frankly, I don't give a damn what I get or what I do.
Let me rephrase that. I'm meeting some friends for lunch and fun in the afternoon, which I'm looking forward to.
I just don't give a damn what I get or what I do with my family.

Why do I not care? Because of something I wanted to do that is, apparently, impossible for my family. What was this impossible thing? Have the entire family go to the movies - Avatar, specifically - on a Saturday night. Why is this so hard? Apparently my mother - who, originally, wasn't going to be here for my birthday in the first place - can't do evening movies because she is then up all night thinking about them.
What. The. Fuck?
I haven't heard a line of bullshit like that since The Shrub was in office.
I want to do an evening movie for several reasons. First, I'm going to be hanging out with my friends in the afternoon, and I don't know when I'll get home from that. Second, I want to have supper before the movie. Saves money at the concession counter that way. And third, my family doesn't get together and do things as a family that often. I tend to enjoy it when we do.
Is seeing Avatar in the evening instead of afternoon really too much to ask? Apparently so.
I went up against my mother, and neither of us is budging, and no one is happy. I think she's being kind of selfish, myself. It's my birthday, for fuck's sake. Would it be asking too much for her to humor me? Apparently it is.
Or am I being the selfish one? I dunno. I made the lunch plans when I thought she was going to be in Oregon with her sisters, so I don't want to change them and mess up the schedules of three other people.
'Course, maybe if I'd told her why I want to see the evening movie, she would've understood. Ah well. It's kind of late now.

I'm kind of pissed off, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment