Those were the words spoken by a friend of me and my girlfriend's, who was in a pretty cranky mood last night.
They came over to my girlfriend's apartment, joining us for a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Instead...
It wasn't.
He was so moody, it cast a dark cloud over the whole place. I found it stifling, but tried to keep up appearances anyway, so as not to disappoint my girlfriend. Still, I was glad when he left. The mood shifted after that, and I tried to have a little fun. It worked, kind of. I just kept a smile on, for my girlfriend and the other friend who was there. Inside, though, I wanted to leave. To get out of the oppressive atmosphere and back home, to the familiar atmosphere of my house, with its familiar Thanksgiving surroundings.
I didn't, though. I love my girlfriend too much to ditch her like a cad.
I finally left her apartment two hours after I expected to be gone, as the turkey substitute had taken longer to roast than we thought it would. When I finally got off the bus in my neighborhood, I breathed a big sigh of relief.
Back to a quiet, cool, familiar area. I would just walk home, in the snow and the dark, with nobody around, and cleanse myself of the dark cloud from earlier in the evening.
All in all, this year's Thanksgiving was a rather... interesting experience.
Next year, I'm bringing her to my house.
No comments:
Post a Comment