Thursday, March 22, 2007

Random Lego picture

(Click on the picture for a larger version of it)
Earlier this evening, I was going through some of the hundreds of photos I've taken with my digital camera since I got it, and this picture jumped out at me. I'm sure anyone familiar with the Star Wars movies will recognize it, but for those that don't know what it is, this is a spaceship known as a Star Destroyer. In the movies, these ships are roughly a mile long, and make up most of the fleet of the evil Galactic Empire. This model I have, made of Lego bricks, is roughly three feet long, and made up of around 3,000 pieces. I received it as a Christmas present when I was 16. It took me three days of almost nonstop building to put together, and I was I glad when I finished!
It was an interesting experience for me, though. Understanding how a Lego set such as this is so carefully designed, literally from the first piece up, was very interesting. This model, for example, has a strong and sturdy system of internal bracing - made of Lego bricks, of course -, to ensure that it doesn't collapse under its own weight. I did have to reinforce a few parts of the model, but only after it had been sitting on my dresser for over a year. Some bricks are constantly under stress, so they become detached after a period of time. I still have this model (it took me so long to put together, I'm not taking it apart anytime soon!), sitting on my dresser, and I try to remember to dust it every month or two. If you want to read more about this model, you can visit its page on Lego's web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment