Sunday, March 25, 2007

Shutdown Day, Linux Install, Portland

Yesterday, I did something I haven't done in a long time. I left my computer off for the whole day, by choice. Why? Yesterday was Shutdown Day, basically an experiment for people to see if they could get along without their computers for a whole day. I actually did! I went to the store with mom and my sister, walked 8 miles, played with my Legos, and read a book. All in all, it was a very interesting experience.

Ah, Linux. I decided to install it on my computer over this spring break, as an alternative to windows. It seemed easy: download Ubuntu (a version of Linux), burn it to a CD, boot my computer from the CD, install. Well, it's been two days of fiddling around, and I don't have Linux installed yet. The reason: Whenever I try to resize the Windows partition on my hard drive to make room, the Linux installer freezes up. So, I'm trying to figure that out, although it's a bit of a pain, being that I have to reboot into Windows to get to the troubleshooting site, since Ubuntu doesn't support my computer's wireless card out of the box. Well, not much I can do about it right now.

I'm going to Portland for the day tomorrow, as well. Have to catch the train at 7:30 in the morning, which means I have to drag my ass out of bed at 6:00 AM to make it down to the station on time. I'm looking forward to the trip, though. I haven't been to Portland in a couple years. My grandparents used to live about 30 miles outside of Portland, but I haven't been there since my grandmother died about two years ago. I guess I should get ready for it, too. Even though it's a day trip, I still need to bring a lunch, some spending money, a rain jacket, and so on.

No comments:

Post a Comment