Friday, November 16, 2007

Two - No, Three - Busy Weeks

And busy weeks they were. Let me start with the last day I posted a blog entry, October 28th.

Sunday 28 Oct
I talked with Kitty this evening, and she didn't sound good at all. She'd been having stomach pain all evening, which I told her to do something about. She didn't at first, because she'd had pain like this before, and it had gone away. At 10:00 she calls me, and she sounds BAD. Bad enough to scare me. she'd called her doctor, who'd told her to go to the ER. She asked us for a ride, because her mom lives in Lynnwood, about 20 miles away. Mom balked at first, saying that her mom should do it, because she wouldn't be able to do anything in the ER, or something like that. Kitty calls her mom, but then calls us back: "what could I say, she lives in Lynnwood, I'll just take the bus." Kitty, you big dummy, you aren't taking any damn bus when you're in that much pain. We'll take you, wait for us. A few minutes later, Kitty calls me back, saying that her mom had agreed to take her to the ER. I spend the night worrying about her, and getting little sleep.

Monday 29 Oct
I wake up when I usually do, and get ready for work, worrying about Kitty all the while. At 6:00 AM, she calls me. She's in the ER, and they have a diagnosis: appendicitis. Oh my god, really? She's doing better, and sounds better too. I go to work. Later on, she calls me again, saying that she's getting transferred to Swedish Hospital, which is conveniently up the hill from where I work. I make a note to stop by after work, if I can. After work I call Kitty, and as I'm talking to her, they come to get her ready for surgery. I go to school, although I don't remember anything from those classes. After class, I catch a bus to the hospital at 2:00, thinking that she's probably out of surgery by now. She wasn't. I wait in her room for 45 minutes, worrying. Finally, an orderly knocks on the doorframe of the room and wheels a bed in. Lying in the bed, tubes and hoses hooked up to her, her beautiful brown hair in orderly disarray on the pillow, is Kitty. I wait until the nurses have the bed hooked up, and all the various tubes - IV fluids, oxygen tube in her nose, blood pressure cuff, anti blood clot machine for her legs - hooked up. I reach over and hold her hand. Still groggy from the anesthetic, she turns her head towards me, and smiles. I stay in the hospital for 3 more hours, holding her hand and stroking her hair. Her mother showed up a little while later, bringing flowers and a teddy bear. Kitty was taking a long time to come out of anesthetic, but she's still able to give me a little hug and kiss when I leave. Mom picks me up from the hospital, and we go home. I inhale some dinner, ignore my homework, and go to bed.

Tuesday 30 Oct
I wake up in a better mood, having gotten some more sleep last night. I go to work, but I'm distracted. Even my boss, who usually doesn't talk to me much, tells me to pay attention. This was after I dropped something for the third time, and forgotten to put a topping on the salads I was making. So I'm distracted. My girlfriend, one of the people I love deepest, is in the hospital. Wouldn't you be distracted, too? Oh wait boss, you don't have a girlfriend. I didn't say that, though. Kitty calls me. Her mom's taking her out to her parent's house in Lynnwood, where she can be cared for. Kitty, I'm coming out to see you after class. Oh, you don't have to. I'm coming anyway. Oh, ok. When I arrive at her parent's house, I find Kitty downstairs. She's already looking better. She's tired, but able to snuggle with me a little bit. I'm relieved that she's getting better. I stay out there until the evening, when her mom gives me a ride back into town. I catch a bus home, ignore my homework again, and go to bed. I don't see Kitty again until Friday.

Friday 2 Nov
Having caught up with my homework the past couple days, I'm getting in a better mood and more able to pay attention at work. And, I'm seeing Kitty this afternoon! After work and school, I catch a bus back downtown to catch another bus out to Lynnwood. I missed it. Damn. Oh, but there's another one coming in about five minutes. It's just another transit agency, so I'll have to pay more. No big deal, I can afford it. On the bus, my sister calls me. You just got an envelope from the University of Washington admissions office, and is says Congratulations on the outside. Well, open it up for me. Rip rip, rustle. Dear Sir, we are pleased to offer you admission to the University of Washington for Winter Quarter 2008...

I got into the UW.

No way. I got into the UW.

I do a little dance in my seat on the bus. I then call Dad and one of my Aunts to tell them the news. they're both happy for me. When I tell Kitty, I play a little joke. I make it all serious, like she's done something or I want to break up or whatever. Then, I smile and tell her I got in, Immediately, she wraps me in a hug, and tells me how happy she is for me. I'm happy, and proud, for me too. We spend the rest of the time out there eating Papa Murphy's pizza, watching a movie, and snuggling in her parent's rec room. Overall, Kitty's condition today is a marked improvement from Tuesday. I get a ride into town again from Kitty's mom, then Dad picks me up and takes me the rest of the way. I get home late and go to bed, tired but happy.

Saturday 3 Nov
I talked to Kitty again today. She's back at her own apartment, and her own bed. She'd gotten tired of sleeping in a recliner, and her mom was driving her bonkers. I don't blame her for that part; her mom even gets on my nerves. Kitty's happy to be back home. She even wants to go back to work on Tuesday. I tell her to wait one more day, to give her body more time to recover. She reluctantly agrees.

Wednesday 7 Nov
Yay! Kitty's back at work today. Everyone is glad to see her, although Silver - another guy who works there - goes "who are you again"?. Kitty kicks his butt. All is back to normal. Well, almost. Kitty can't do any heavy lifting for 4 weeks, so I'm the one left to do a lot of stocking in the store. It's ok, though. I can build up my muscles some more that way.

Fast forward a week and a half.

Friday 16 Nov
After working and schooling for the past week and a half, I'm looking forward to a little break. It was a stressful week. I had an exam, homework which was a pain, more homework, and Kitty and I had a little fight yesterday. I think some of it was unresolved BS from the fight I had with Dad a year ago around this time. I still resent him for that. But, Kitty and I made up today, although we both agreed not to have an official "date" today, like we usually do on Fridays. I was feeling kind of down though, so I stopped by her apartment for a couple hours anyway. It was nice. Afterwards, I bought dinner at a nearby mall and ate in front of a candy shop. Big mistake; I decided to go in, and they had my favorite candy - little candies shaped like Lego blocks - as the special of the week. Three pounds of candy later, I have enough to last me a month. I got home early and surprised everyone, since I usually don't show up until 10 at night on Fridays. I fooled around, then I realized that I hadn't updated my blog in awhile. I started typing, and here it is. that was about an hour ago. Now I'm going to bed, and I have every intention to sleep in. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment