Sunday, December 16, 2007

Stupidity

Sometimes I do things that seem really stupid in retrospect. Let me tell you about one of them. Last Wednesday, I was getting a little stressed. It was just a couple days after I'd finished school, and my computer was refusing to connect to the internet. Sis had been using my computer for the past couple days to finish up a paper for her history class because hers was on the fritz. And of course, my computer's internet connection had gone out right when she was trying to email the paper to her instructor. So, annoyed about that, I went downstairs to wash the lunch dishes, as I do on Wednesdays. While doing that, I broke a jam jar and cut my finger on a sharp edge of glass. That was it. All the stress, tension, anger, whatever, boiled over and manifested itself in me swearing, and smashing my clenched right fist hard on the edge of the sink two times in rapid succession. This is a steel sink, mind you. It's not going to give.
An explosion of pain in my right hand, followed immediately by me swearing profusely under my breath while clutching my hand, which started swelling up. I stalked out of the kitchen, said "I quit!" to no one, and went upstairs. My hand still hurt like hell, and was continuing to swell. I put some ice on it, but it didn't get much better. After dinner, I asked Mom to take me to the ER, so I could get it x-rayed.
Several waits in various hospital rooms and three x-rays later, the doctor came back in and told me what I'd already figured out: "Well, you broke it." I had a break in a bone of my right hand. Luckily it's not a serious break, but it's clear through the bone. So, I get sent home with a splint on my hand and official instructions not to take it off, but unofficially I can, as long as it goes back on. So, now I'm a left-hander for the next 4-6 weeks while the bone heals.
It's not too bad now, though. I bought a smaller splint at the drugstore yesterday, and most of the swelling has gone down by now. I'm just wearing the bigger splint at night to protect my hand, and the smaller one during the day. But, I think I learned something from this: only hit soft things when you get mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment