Friday, August 28, 2009

Made Up Mind

Well, I've made a decision about what to do now. I considered my options earlier, but now my mind is made up.

I'm going to find a job.

This may be surprising, but I have thought it over a lot, and it is the preferable option at this point. I have several reasons why I want to do this.
  • I'm running low on money to pay my half of the tuition. A job will let me save money to use for school later on.
  • I still don't have a major or a clear path to take in school. I'd rather waste my own money than my parents' on this.
  • I've been in school for five years now, since fall of 2004. Frankly, I could use a little break.
  • My dad still hasn't finished the apartment, and my not attending school would take some of the pressure off.
  • A job will also let me become a little more independent, and maybe even move out. I'd like that.
So, where do I begin? I have an appointment next Tuesday with my counselor at the local DVR office. His job is to find people jobs, and jobs that they love. Together, I have no doubt that we can find a job for me. Also, I sent an email to the UW's advising office, double-checking that taking a yearlong leave of absence will not screw anything up on their end. I'm pretty sure that it won't, but I want to be sure. Yeah, I'm only planning to be gone a year. The longer one is gone, the harder it becomes to return, especially with college.

Of course, I have to tell my family about this too. I doubt any of them will be pleased with me. But that's all right. I may not be doing what they think I should do, but I'm doing what I believe to be the best for me.

That is what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment