This post has been a long time in the writing. I've wondered if I even should write it. What the hey, it's my blog. I can write what I like. So, this is my perspective on something that happened last year. It might have happened exactly this way; it might not have. I just saw it happen the way I write about it.
Certain people might not want to read any farther; this post is not nice.
After thinking about my ex's relationship after mine - which ended badly - I just have to ask myself:
What the heck was she thinking?
She wanted to marry the guy two months after they started going out, when she hadn't had much to do with him since high school years ago. He had hurt her last time, too. I just cannot figure it out. Actually, I can. It was a rebound.
She wanted desperately to settle down with someone, after having her hopes and dreams cruelly shattered by me. So she decided to pick it up with this guy from high school.
"Why not? He still has feelings for me, and I know this time it will be different. He hurt me before, but that's okay."
Well, guess what? It obviously wasn't okay. He strung her along for two months, promising her the world. They made all kinds of plans for their new life together. Then he got scared - or bored - and wandered off, leaving her crying in the dirt.
Rebound relationships do not work. I do not know as much about love as some people know, but that is one thing I do know. Love certainly is blind, like people in love are blind to what is obvious from the perspective of someone else.
So now, she is alone again. She has accepted she might be alone - or single, if you prefer - for some time. That seems like a good thing. It gives her time to step back and take a breather. And, if she is so inclined, to better herself a little bit, too. What do I mean?
She has several chronic problems which she has dealt with for as long as I have known her. She's consistently overweight, and complains about it. Yet, she does not make much of an effort to lose weight. She talked about working out, or joining a gym, or going walking every day, but nothing ever came from that. Part of the problem is because of her bad knees, but she did have exercises to help strengthen those. I think she did, anyway. I recall her talking about them a little. Nobody said she has to start doing all the exercise at once, though. Start with something that will help the knees get better, and go from there.
Another one is her depression. She always struggles with this, especially when it flares up from something. I'm not going to say how to fix this one, because I don't know. I do know it can be managed better than it is, though. That is why I could practically never say no to her. She would always get disappointed/depressed, which made me feel guilty as all hell.
Ah, self esteem. I learned about that in philosophy class this past week. She has none, or very little. She fails to recognize - or does not recognize much - her intrinsic worth as a human being. So, she does not treat herself very nicely. She seems to depend on others for validation of her existence to a certain extent. She lets her mom give her crap about things, when she should just tell her mom to STFU. Sure her mom pays for things, but that is not enough justification for that.
Self respect is another fun topic I learned more about. Does she have any? Probably, but not much. If one respects oneself, then other people respect them. She does not respect herself much, so other people do not either. Why should they, if even she does not respect herself?
She once told me a phrase from Dune: "Fear is the mind killer." That is true. She is afraid. Afraid of change? Possibly. She talks about changing, but hardly ever does. As an example, she always says she needs a job. She has not had a job since April, and has made little or no effort to get one, instead subsisting on free money from the government.
She is demanding. She admits it. But, while she demands so much, does she give the equivalent amount in return? There must be equal exchange, or things will not be good in the long run.
There is a time to be afraid, and a time to pick oneself up, dust oneself off, and begin the work of remaking one's life. She has been afraid for too long. I believe it is time for her to stop being afraid. I'm not saying she can remake her life in two months - look how well that went last time. What I am saying is that the problems she has are manageable, if only she will realize that. I cannot make her do that, though. I will probably help her if she asks, but I doubt that she will. She is stubborn that way.
Yes, this post is mean. But they were things I wanted to say. I had them bottled up inside me for too long. If she ends up reading this post - which is a possibility - she's probably going to be pretty pissed at me. I am sorry for that.
But I am not sorry for writing what I wrote.
No comments:
Post a Comment