Well, here I go again with another prompt from Plinky. I didn't like the prompt for today, so I went back in the archives and picked out one from about a week ago:
'Frankly, Rosebud, you can't handle the truth!' Have a favorite line from a movie?
I do, from the movie 2001:A Space Odyssey, spoken by the character HAL 9000:
"I'm sorry Dave, but I'm afraid I can't do that."
This is probably the most remembered line from the movie. The scene is one character, Dave, trying to reenter the Jupiter One spacecraft in a small space pod. To do so, he needs the computer, named HAL, to open the doors to the pod bay. HAL refuses to do so, because he knows that Dave is planning to disconnect him, which would put the mission in jeopardy. I like this line because of the simplicity of it; 10 words, and a major plot point in the movie. It is HAL's first open act of rebellion in the film, and it changes the entire dynamic of the film, and especially of the characters Dave and HAL. No longer are they co-workers, heading for a common goal. Now they are enemies, and only one of them will come out of the encounter alive.
As for who does, I suggest seeing the movie. It is one of my favorite films.
No comments:
Post a Comment