Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Freedom

Yesterday, I got a couple envelopes in the mail. One envelope contained a couple papers; I knew what they were, so I didn't open it immediately. The other envelope was thicker, with a bit more heft to it. "Official Government Mail" was printed on the outside. I opened it.
The envelope contained my brand new passport. I opened the passport, looked at the empty pages inside. Pages waiting to be stamped from countries I visit.

Freedom.

Now, I have freedom to travel. Freedom to go to Canada, Mexico, South America, China, Europe, England, anywhere in the world. Ok I'm ready, let's leave tomorrow!

Whoa there. I want to leave, sure - with a vengeance - but I recognize the necessity of staying here for now. I want to finish college and get my degree first. I also want to get my driver's license. Then, with a college degree, a passport, and a driver's license, I'll be ready. In only two more years - winter 2010 is when I want to finish my degree - I will be ready. Ready to explore, to travel, to volunteer with the Peace Corps, to do anything I set my mind to.

My ex is ready to do that traveling - and is planning to, last I heard. She'll have the disadvantage of putting off her degree for a time, though. But, that's her choice. I'm taking my time, and tying up all the loose ends first. That way, when I have my diploma from the UW in two years, I know that I will be ready for the world.

I wonder if the world will be ready for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment