Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Bah Humbug

Christmas is coming, and I don't care.
No, seriously. I'm having a hard time giving a shit about Christmas.

I'm just grumpy. Sure, it's a big holiday for everyone, but I'm just not in the mood this year. Maybe it's that this is the anniversary of that big fight I had last with my parents over going to a party with Kitty. Maybe it's because I spent the evening trying to get into a client's house to get their dog after the locks on the front and back doors got fucked up by the weather (we got the dog; now he's staying at our house). Maybe it's because I'm not getting Legos for Christmas, for the first time in living memory. Mom blamed me for that, of course. Whatever. I don't have any room for new Legos in my bedroom anyway.

I didn't really want anything for Christmas, though. I have the stuff I need; I just bought myself a new computer; I know half the stuff I'm getting, anyway; I have clothes, food, and a family that tolerates me. I don't really need any other crap right now. Well, maybe a girlfriend, but that's another story.
I should do something unexpected for Christmas Eve. Maybe go and disappear for a few hours, or go to a party, or just go for a long walk. I've been doing a lot of walking lately, though, and I have the blisters to prove it. Or maybe I'll just hide in my room, reading and playing on my computers while everyone else watches It's a Wonderful Life.
What about Christmas Day? I suppose I should just go through the motions there, but what to do with the presents? Leave them all unopened, or open them, thank people, and then throw them out? Or something else entirely different? I'm sure my family is expecting me to do the normal, greedy gimme-all-the-gifts kind of thing I've usually done. But, I dunno. I'm just grouchy. Maybe it's the weather, and the snow that's been sitting on the ground for over a week. At least that seems to be melting now, somewhat. It's officially lost it's novelty, too. Now it's just a pain.
So, yeah. I think the following vintage magazine cover sums up my mood nicely.
















Merry bleeping Christmas to you, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment