Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Grump Grump

I feel like a freakin' Grinch.

I'm still grouchy about Christmas, and I can't figure out why. Maybe it's the weather. At least things are finally thawing out a little. Maybe it's me. It might be the memories of last Christmastime, though. Those memories aren't exactly good:
Kitty asking Mom about my curfew, because she wants me to stay later at a Christmas Eve party at her Uncle's house. Mom and I getting in a big fight over my curfew, with Mom refusing to change it for the most dumbass reason I've ever heard. "I want my family together on Christmas Eve." WTF? I need a better reason than that before I'll be satisfied with you restricting me that way, you old broad. I mean, the party is in Mill Creek, not downtown! What the fuck is wrong with me staying there a little later than 10 o' clock? Arrgh.
That fight was so unnecessary. I still think about how it could have gone better with a little more discussion, and less emotion. I wish my sister hadn't gotten involved, either. She had nothing to do with it, yet she choose to insert herself for no damn good reason. Kitty started crying, I almost lost it, and it didn't end well. I took Kitty back to a bus, came home, and just went to bed.
The day after the fight - Christmas Eve - I let my displeasure be known. I was angry and unhappy, so I just sulked around all day. I don't think I said more than 20 words all day.
Mom tried to apologize at one point, but I didn't even acknowledge her existence. I can't remember what happened afterwards. Either I snapped out of it on my own, or someone talked to me, but I was in a decent mood Christmas Day. Things improved from there, but my relationship with Kitty took a good hit. But I've talked about that already, in other posts.

Next girlfriend I have, I'm going to set the curfew, not my parents. I may still live in their house, but I'm a responsible 22 year old adult, and I should be treated as such. Once, Mom mentioned that she read that people with Asperger's Syndrome have a maturity level that's actually 2 years less than their chronological age; for example, I'm 22, so because I have Asperger's, I'm only as mature as a 20 year old, or so she thinks. Personally, I think that's a sack of shit. I believe that one's maturity level doesn't depend on whether or not one has a particular disorder of one kind or another. It depends on one's personality, on how one is raised, on the environment one is raised in, and on the maturity of those raising the child. Given those factors, I was raised to be responsible and mature, so I am. I am not as mature as I could be, but that's most likely due to my age, instead of anything else.
How does one define "mature" anyway? That's a question I should answer before I try to figure out how mature I am. But not tonight. It's almost Christmas, so I think I'll go to bed.
First though, I'm lighting a good roaring fire in the fireplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment