Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First Plan

Ok, now that I've sorted things out a little bit, here's my first plan for the Reboot. It generally boils down to three major things: get a car, get independent, and get away.

Get a car
  • Objective: get a driver's license, and a car to go with it. I'm over 18, so my parents can't reallly stop me.
  • Obstacle:Insurance is the unknown factor here; I need liability insurance or protection under state law. How much is the insurance? Will I use the car enough for the associated costs of maintaining it to be worth it?
  • Solutions: Look into alternatives, such as liability bonds for insurance. Don't own a car, just join Zipcar. Although, Zipcar requires me to have been licensed for at least one year.
Get independent
  • Objective: Get out from under the weight of my family and curfews that are dependent on parents bedtime instead of any logical order.
  • Obstacle: How? I've never done this before.
  • Solutions: Just do it. Stay at school for longer. I might work better studying there, anyway. Negotiate for a later curfew, or just show up late and see what happens.
Get away
  • Objective: Just that; get out of the house, live on my own.
  • Obstacle: It costs money; rent, food, utilities, and other expenses can quickly pile up.
  • Solutions: Get a roommate; great way to split expenses, as long as we tolerate each other. Or, I could leave school, get a full-time job and work for awhile before going back to school. This has it's own set of obstacles, however.

    • Obstacle: Where would I find money for school? I can't count on my parents to pay for it if I move out.

    • Solution: Can you say "Financial Aid"? As a poor starving student with little or no income, I imagine I would qualify for FAFSA or something or the sort.
    • Obstacle: After being out of school for a long time, I might find it hard to go back in.
    • Solution: Do it for yourself, not for anyone else. Having a degree is a lot better than not having a degree.
Well, that wraps up the summary for now. I want to do a more detailed exploration of each part, and maybe develop an order to perform the specific steps in. But that is for another time. Right now, I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment