When we first met in April 2005, it came into being. A cord connecting me and her. A thin, weak cord, but it was there.
As we worked together, the connection got stronger. I didn't know what was going on. I'd never had a girlfriend before.
She knew exactly what was going on.
I finished tutoring her. The cord weakened again, but it was still there. Maybe it was that pull on the cord - mostly her pulling - that caused us to keep bumping into each other around the SCCC campus.
One day, the cord got stronger and thicker. It was the day I took her out to lunch. I also got to see what fresh strawberries to do her. The memory still gives me a chuckle.
We started going out soon after that. The cord got stronger and stronger, thicker and thicker.
During our relationship, the cord size and strength waxed and waned, but it always got stronger overall. This went on for almost two years.
Then, the cord started to weaken. A little bit here, a little bit there. I didn't want to notice it. I did, but I was also in denial. I thought she loved me enough, she would always be around.
Sometimes, even love has its limits.
Now, the cord is so thin and weak it's hardly even there. She's not pulling on it anymore. I do my best to keep it alive, but there's not much left. It's hard, but I do. I haven't contacted her in several days now. I want to keep the cord there, if she needs it. But will she need it? I like to think so. Maybe I'm just in denial.
I know where a pair of scissors is.
Is it time to use them on our cord?
No comments:
Post a Comment