Saturday, September 13, 2008

My First Class Reunion

So, today I went to a reunion for my high school, the Homeschool Resource Center. It was a 10th anniversary celebration of the HRC, as well as a reunion for former students and staff. I saw a lot of people there I hadn't seen in years. Among them:

Naomi Holmes, my math teacher for three straight years. Her enthusiasm and energy helped make learning math fun. She retired the same year I graduated; I like to say I drove her into retirement!

Ben Hutchinson, the geeky science guy who always likes to be the center of attention, and will talk your ear off regardless of whether or not you acknowledge his existence. Sadly, that hadn't changed. He's going to be at the UW this fall, as well. Hopefully, I can avoid him most of the time.

Wendy Kennedy, whom I took two years of history from. She had lost weight, swapped her classes for contact lenses, and was looking a lot more "comfortable" in her position than she had the last time I saw her.

Gloria Hill, the special ed. teacher for Sis and I. I'd seen her since I graduated from the HRC, but not recently. She was looking older, but also more relaxed - she's recently divorced - and wiser.

Liz Vincent, a girl whom I had flattened to the HRC's gymnasium floor when she was younger. She had to stay in the hospital overnight for observation afterwards. Luckily, she didn't remember much of that. She's grown about 2 feet since I last saw her, as well. We ended up spending some time talking, since I was about the only other person she knew there.

All in all though, I'm glad I went to the reunion. It was fun to spend some time catching up with people I hadn't seen in years. I even found a few of them on Facebook, so we can stay in touch if we want. The only bad thing is that I missed the monthly GSLUG meeting; oh well, I can go next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment