I was working today, doing my part-time job for a landscaper, thinking about my recent breakup, and how my ex still saw me as a boy and not a man. I need to become a man, I thought. But how do I do that? I need to get away from my family for awhile. Then this idea pops into my head, driven by who-knows-what combination of synapses firing:
Join the Peace Corps, and get out of town for awhile.
Wait a minute. What?
Leave Seattle, everyone I know and love, behind to spend two years in some country a million miles away, all alone? Well, not alone, but still.
You know, I'm actually considering doing that. It would be good for me to get away for a little while. Even though I probably wouldn't leave for several months after I applied and got accepted (then I would have time to plan), I think it would be a good experience for me. Could I handle it? It's not exactly like I would be sent away unprepared; the Peace Corps make sure you're thoroughly ready for wherever you go, according to their website.
So, I'm going to think on it for now. Maybe a week or two. The first step is to get my passport, so I can travel to other countries. I hope to turn the forms and photos for that in tomorrow. The next step is to complete my associates degree at Seattle Central; I'm just five credits shy of that, so it won't take much to finish up. Then, I'll be ready. Once I've made a decision, I'll post a blog entry here. Here I go!
No comments:
Post a Comment